Sunday 2 July 2017

Pam's Week 26: Fireworks Emulating Heaven, Til There are No Stars Any More...

Anyone who knows me very well at all will know that I have been a huge fan of the Tragically Hip since my old friends and KMart colleagues, Chris and Leigh, introduced them to me back in the Up to Here days.  I have seen them about 11 times, from small bars in Grand Rapids, MI to huge outdoor festivals in Chicago and Winnipeg, the 2 millenium shows in Toronto, and everything in between.  As soon as I read that fireworks was one of this week's topics (and you may recall that Sharon tricked me and I thought it actually belonged last week), this song popped into my head and hasn't left.  I know that my kids are more familiar with the Katy Perry song "Firework" but that just wouldn't do for me.

This is the first week in a long time that I didn't totally procrastinate and run out the night before the end of the week and attempt to cram in a bunch of photos.  That being said, I was out and about yesterday thinking I was all done when I suddenly realized that I was still missing one of the topics.  Oopsie.  It probably was a good thing that I didn't procrastinate as we were wanting for clear skies and sunshine all week again.  On the plus side - the grass is green...

Anyways, here we go....

Red and White

All the way back from Mount Pleasant last weekend, I pointed out all the nice red barns against the bright white clouds and thought I should stop and take a photo of one of them in an attempt to have something less obvious as my red and white photo but alas, it didn't happen.  So, possible the most obvious red and white possible - our flag.



I also took this photo of my kids yesterday during the brief hour we braved the cold to attend our local Canada Day festivities.  It's more red than white since Danica needed to leave her coat on for fear of frostbite on July 1st...



Pattern

This is the photo I essentially forgot about.  I had taken some pattern photos earlier in the week, however, they were all in nature and since "abstract in nature" was a topic for next week, I felt like I should try to do something different.  Unfortunately, my attempts were not too successful.

One of our oldest streets used to be cobblestone at the south end of it for most of my childhood (and obviously before that).  Recently, they repaved the road but used the cobblestones for crosswalks.  I thought it could be a cool pattern.  Maybe I should have parked my car, braved the rain, and tried for some different angles.



Speed

Somehow when I read this topic, I automatically assumed this meant fast speed.  Fast is one of next week's topics though so perhaps slow would have been another acceptable interpretation of speed.  That's not how I interpreted it though so you may have to look at two similar fast pics in a row!



Boat

This was another topic I thought of taking last weekend while en route to Mount Pleasant.  Mackinaw City and all those other small little Michigan towns seem to have some of the biggest boats I've ever seen.  They are likely more yacht-like than boat but it still would have worked, I'm sure.  We didn't end up stopping near the lake though so that never happened.  Instead, I took pictures of some of the boats around Topsail Island while out walking and photographing with Sharon the other day.  We really liked how the sunlight was reflecting in the rippled water (she may have a similar photo as she was taking some too but I haven't read her blog yet so I'm not sure).


Q

Do you realize how difficult it is to find "Q" in an unexpected place?  Or at all, for that matter.  Sharon and I walked around Bellevue Park turning our heads in all sorts of ways to try to find something remotely resembling a Q.  Then I saw a Dairy Queen cup on the ground and pictured it with a spoon angled properly and decided I could recreate that at home.  This is a pineapple pie I'd made for Father's Day but it hadn't set properly so it still sat, with it's friends, in my freezer.


Not completely convinced I would use that photo, I relied on my old and lately neglected friend, Google, and almost slapped myself.  You see, while Sharon and I were at the park, I saw this chain and tried to make it work as a Q, never actually looking at the rings themselves in this manner...


Now, I made this black and white, as I did with the pattern photo above as well, so I'm not sure why they show up in the folder as such but then reverted to colour when I put them in the blog.

Fireworks

Finally we have the "magic topic".  That would be the topic that matches the title of the blog post.  I have to admit that these photos were taken last week at the National Indigenous People's Day as we arrived too late and the fireworks ended up being set off too far away from where we were standing for me to get any decent photos.



Wildcard

Funnily enough, this seems to be the topic I am struggling with the most these days.  Maybe it's partially because the weather has sucked so we haven't really done anything out of the ordinary or gone anywhere interesting, but I have been having a difficult time thinking of something new and creative to do for this topic.

Geese in the river in front of the bridge at sunset...


Danica and her friend, Sophie, in front of their cabin at summer camp.


It's funny actually because as we were packing her up ready to go, Danica kept expressing her reservations about going this year.  She ended up loving it last year, but she went the same week as Duncan so she felt somehow safer and protected.  I told her she would have to show Sophie the ropes, thinking it would make her feel better as this is Sophie's first year at this camp.  She kept saying she wasn't sure she wanted to go any more.  Then we arrive and she happily takes the bed under Sophie's and the two of them go running off with their counselor without even a goodbye to us!  We had to call them back for hugs and kisses and a quick photo.

Hopefully the weather is more cooperative this week.  I'd hate for it to rain all week when she's at camp but I am also selfishly hoping for some sunshine for myself and my own motivations!  I am also hoping for sunshine for all of you as well as I am not completely selfish!

1 comment:

  1. That Q is unbelievable! I can't believe we couldn't see it. Love the deep red reflection in the fireworks photo and the light on the flag is great (and patriotic too). I'd like to try that pineapple pie :).

    ReplyDelete