Sunday 2 July 2017

Sharon's Week 26: But not a real green dress, that's cruel

So is everybody singing the Barenaked Ladies song now?  My weekend has been filled with music...not so much photography but a lot of music.  I am at my friends' in Timmins and we spent Friday evening listening to a huge variety of music on Apple Music, enjoying songs from the Canada 150 playlist along with favourties we came up with as we went along.  It was so much fun (especially the If I Had A Million Dollars song) and it made me wonder why the heck I don't listen to music more often myself.

Yesterday we spent at the Stars and Thunder festival grounds listening to some great artists perform, visiting with friends and enjoying the most spectacular fireworks I have ever seen (and probably will ever see).  This was the final day of an eight day event which had some pretty big name musicians (David Wilcox, Sass Jordan, April Wine, Hedley and many others) come to this small city and with a nightly fireworks competition (which unfortunately had to be cancelled on three nights due to winds going in the wrong direction and spewing embers onto the crowds).  I came only for the Canada Day extravaganza.  I saw Sons of Maxwell (the lead singer is a real cutie), Johnny Reid (awesome Scottish accent) and Keith Urban (who won my heart even though he is fairly country and I DO NOT like country music except the stuff my dad sings).  The truth about Keith Urban is that he looked really good in his t-shirt 😁.  And he gave Carla's friend's son his signed guitar while he was wandering around in the crowd.  What a night that boy had!

The fireworks were the program from the Ukrainian team that was cancelled earlier in the week.  It was so unbelievably beautiful and the music that it was set to added so much.  I was not able to photograph it because no cameras were allowed in the park at any time.  Security was so tight, they stripped the camp chairs that everybody had of their carrying bags looking for contraband food and who-knows-what-else.  On a side note, no outside food or drink was allowed and yet the food lines were hours long.  Carla, Paul and Colleen waited for an hour and 45 minutes for food for our group and that was considered short when compared with some others.

Since I worked longer hours all week in order to leave early to drive to Timmins on Friday, I didn't get out with the camera.  I wasn't worried, thinking that I could certainly get a lot of interesting photos at the Canada Day festivities.  When I arrived and Carla told me that Friday's fireworks had already been cancelled then that no cameras were allowed in the venue, I gave up all hope of completing this week.  I have just barely enough photos and none extra to fill the pages of my project photobook.

red and white

Carla, her daughter Mya and her mom June all decked out before heading to the park.  Mya prefers the first photo and I like the smiles in it best but I like the composition of the second photo much better.  I couldn't decide which one to use so I am including both.


pattern
This is the reflection of the mast of a sailboat in the water.

speed
I donated about a litre of blood to some mosquitoes and black flies along the side of Highway 17 on Friday in order to get this photo.  I would have liked to stay longer to have more variety to choose from but I couldn't do it...waiting for more interesting vehicles and having better luck with positioning in the frame was just not possible.  Mya said I had to use this photo...even though the vehicle is cut off, she likes it best.

a boat
Thankfully, Bellevue Park has a marina.

Q
I personally think that this looks like a fancy sort of Q where the stick runs along the bottom rather than through the circle.  You may not agree but it's my party.  I also had a brainwave and photographed my friend Carol's motorcycle (the front wheel with the fork thing that attaches it to the rest of the bike looks like a Q but again, Mya prefers this one so it's the one I am using.  This one is more colourful anyway.

fireworks
😢
Like I said, they were outstanding but I didn't have access to my camera and tripod.  I will photograph the American fireworks on Tuesday night and include a photo next week.  This photo was taken with my phone and in no way does it do the display any sort of justice.

wild card
I am so short on photos this week.  This was one of my attempts at a Q, thinking that the stem and bud below the daisy would be like the stick part.  Didn't work out but will sub in as my wild card this week.

Here is a photo (not mine) of what the crowd looked like from behind.

Not sure how much you can see there but Keith is looking good in his t-shirt.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Mya - the smiles in the first photo are fantastic. Your speed shot was also red and white, I noticed. I think it's funny that you are now a Keith Urban fan because of how he looks in a t-shirt (clearly we have been spending too much time together as I've been known to become partial to some actors and musicians based on similar qualities). Looks like we did include the same boat but from different perspectives! Good week, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That man does fill out a t-shirt nicely!
    Love your mast pic, and the speed Pi is great fun with the stop sign 😏

    ReplyDelete