Sunday 31 December 2017

Sharon's Week 52: Celebrate Good Times, Come On!

Happy New Year's Eve!  Today is the final day of 2017 and it is going out with a bang.  Did you see those temperatures?  And to top it off, there's a snow squall warning for tonight.  Be careful out there if you are travelling around to celebrate the incoming 2018.

This is going to be the end of my weekly photography projects for a while.  I think that doing this for four years in a row has kind of gotten stale, even though each year has been somewhat different from the others.  I have found myself far too often this year being lazy and ending up unhappy with my choices for photos and disappointed with the photos themselves.  After putting some thought into this fact, I realized that the daily and weekly challenges have become a chore rather than a creative boost that spurs my photographic interest and promotes skill development, which is what the whole point was supposed to be.

So as I mentioned in an earlier post, my project for 2018 is going to be to make myself a cookbook which will include all of my favourite foods.  I am still working on the list of things that have to make it into the book and I need to decide the size and format of the book but I have been mulling over these things.  I have a beginning of the stash of tools and props that I think will be needed for the food photography and I read a couple of books about the subject.  I did sign up for an on-line course and it begins on Friday.  I am a little daunted when I look at beautiful food photos but I am hopeful that my skill will develop over the course of the year.  I suppose that the photos I take later in the year will probably be better than the ones I will take in the coming weeks but since the cookbook will be only for me, I guess that doesn't matter.  I don't plan to stick to a weekly schedule for posting the photos but I will create a new blog page because my mom and sister have told me I have to share the photos with them.

So that is the plan for 2018.  Here are the final photos for 2017.  There are eight topics and no wild card this week because I included today for a full 365 days to this project.

celebrate
What says "celebrate" more than lighting sparklers inside the house resulting in the smoke alarm going off?

glowing
Pam made me (😀) meet her for an early morning walk earlier in the week when it was minus a million degrees outside - just like today, I guess.  I got to Whitefish a bit before her and found that the entire park was glowing, with frost on all the trees and fog on the water.  I wandered around the parking lot with Hermione and found this.

an ornament
I quickly shot this on boxing day before un-decorating the tree and bringing it to the chipper.

dessert
After the Christmas indulgences, the only desserts that I have been enjoying are the amazingly sweet clementines.

a gift
We desperately needed a new cat tree and Anne delivered!  The cats all love it and on one occasion (without camera being ready), all three were on it at once.  Here we have Bella on the top shelf and Eclipse on the side shelf.

starts with F
F-f-f-f-frosty Whitefish Island.





smooth
I love the smoothly snow-covered rocks and things after a snowfall.

And now some sad news...Hermione is on her way back to the camera hospital.  She has developed something inside her workings that shows as a random blurred hair in all my photos.  If you look carefully you can see traces of it in this snow photo.  I tried to get most of it out in Lightroom but I am not a master of that program and I can still see shadows of it.  Oh, and you can see it clearly in the frosty photo of the stream with the bridge in the background...somehow that one escaped my attention.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment