Saturday 14 October 2017

Sharon's Week 41: This one time, at band camp...

Does this year seem to be flying by for anyone else?  I swear it was just July and now it's the middle of October, for crying out loud.  I think that if time wants to mess with my brain, it should speed up during the work day and slow down in the evenings and on weekends.  I could learn to live with that.  How about you?

About my photography this week...I came out of the starting gate with great speed and acceleration.  I spent most of the day Sunday driving and photographing then on Monday, Levi and I headed into Michigan looking for fall colours.  By that point I had four of my seven photos but it stopped there.  For the life of me I could not come up with any ideas for the final three: graffiti, technology and nostalgia.  I was off yesterday but instead of putting some thought into those photos, I completed most of an extremely long to-do list.  So as has been my habit, there were last minute, rather lame attempts today.

Here we go...

wild card
I was on a search for perfect leaves that I could take home and shoot on the light table but they have been few and far between.  When I stopped at Batchawana last Sunday, this leaf stood out because there was not a lot of red around.  The sun was shining brightly in the blue sky and we had just been doing sun flares the week before so I set this up.

graffiti
I headed to Whitefish Island because there is a lot of graffiti on the concrete pillars under the bridge.  As I was heading there I was thinking of the dude who writes, "BORED" all over town in black spray paint.  I was sarcastically telling him (in my head) that if he was truly bored, he could take the time to add colours to his graffiti instead of leaving those ugly, boring words all over.  Then I saw this and I had to apologize to him (again in my head).  

technology
I am often amazed at the technological know-how that people had in the past, before the discovery of so many mathematical and physical laws, before computers and even Google.  Think the Pyramids, the Roman aqueducts, the Eiffel Tower, the list is endless.  Anyway, I'm not sure how old these swing bridges are (the dark one is the train bridge and the orange one is the emergency road bridge, I think) but I'm sure they were built long before Google.  And, the reflections caught my eye.

Y
I wish the branch was prettier but I love the ripply water.

nostalgia
Here's where I demonstrate my lack of imagination.  All I could think of was high school.  I headed to the basement to get my yearbooks and I found my letters and my old Levi's jean jacket.  This yearbook is from my grade 13 graduation year.  The letters weren't for sports; I think I got them from a combination of academics, concert band and cheerleading (every extra-curricular activity was worth points and they accumulated over the years).  An aside about band: did you know that now, kids get credits for being in band?  And there are a million options...concert band, jazz band, rock band, choir and more!  I spent every Monday evening and many lunches of my high school career in the music room and none of it counted towards any credits.

cow
The landscape behind Echo Bay is full of rolling hills and farmland.  I figured I'd see some cows if I drove in that direction.

fall
Here we have the quintessential fall:  hay bales and colourful leaves.

And, because my mom complained that there wasn't any fall colour in last week's post, these are for her...




That's it for this week.

1 comment:

  1. That sun flare on the leaf is my absolute favourite this week but the second last one in the post is pretty stunning as well. Who am I kidding - they are all awesome! Good work!

    ReplyDelete