Sunday 29 October 2017

Pam's Week 43: Sundown in the Paris of the Prairies...

I am posting late this week because the weather was anything but cooperative and conducive to picture taking at the beginning of the week and then I headed to the Paris of the Prairies, also known as Saskatoon, mid-week, returning home last night.  I had envisioned actually having some new inspiration this week and photos of unfamiliar sights but alas, twas not to be.  You see, I was in Saskatoon for a workshop that began at the crack of dawn and ended just prior to sunset.  It was full of great information but my brain was toast by Friday afternoon.  Luckily today was reasonably sunny and Sharon dragged my butt out of bed early so that we could meet for a walk and I could take the rest (or most) of my photos.

Rim Light

I did have the opportunity to take this photo yesterday morning when I was out for breakfast with my dear friend, Courtney (who drove from Regina to visit me while I was in Saskatoon), but I didn't think she would appreciate being front and centre of this week's blog, and although the light was lovely, it would not have been one of Courtney's best photos.

While at Whitefish Island this morning, Sharon had her trusty birdseed and the light was shining beautifully, allowing me the opportunity to capture these photos.  I couldn't decide which one I liked better.  I liked the chickadee better when it was on Sharon's hand but I liked the light on the mossy branch in the other photo too.  After this photo, I had to borrow Sharon's gloves as my fingertips were frozen from staying still and patient for so long....



Starts with P

A plane in the prairies.....just the prairies.....I took the first one from my phone in the airport lounge (where, I might add, everyone but me got upgraded to preferred seating).  The second I took from the window on the plane.



Not Enough

I considered taking a photo of all the lotion I own to illustrate that all the lotion in the world is not enough to keep your skin moisturized when you are in Saskatchewan.  My goodness, to say it was dry was an understatement.  I must have used nearly an entire tube of lip balm and put hand lotion on my hands every hour or two.  My legs would have made an alligator look smooth.  Instead, while I was in the air, I recalled my friend telling me that there weren't enough bridges to cross the river in Saskatoon during rush hour.  The bridges were beautiful but once again, there was no light when I may have had the opportunity to take a photo.  I had a pretty good view from the plane though.


Handwriting

I should have taken out all my notes and taken a photo of them or better yet, written in the beautiful notebook/journal Courtney gave me as a belated birthday gift and taken a photo of it.  Instead, I used what was within easy reach this morning - my grocery list.  My mother, who was a grade 2/3 teacher back when they taught handwriting in school, is likely horrified right now that I am photographing my writing as she finds it appalling - it is "priting", does not have the proper angles and loops, is too small and cramped, and essentially looks nothing at all like hers.  Nearby is the cup Courtney gave me as well.  My tea this morning tasted pretty yummy out of it.


Orange

Orange is my favourite colour - it makes me happy.  It isn't always the easiest colour to find though.  The emergency swing dam at the locks, however, is orange.  I had to choose between the best reflection and the best sky for this photo though as they each had their benefits.  I decided the sky in this one made the orange of the dam pop better so I voted for sky this time around.


Pumpkin

I have been rather neglectful this Halloween.  It somehow snuck up on me and I never did get around to buying pumpkins to carve with the kids.  Luckily they have some pretty awesome grandparents who spent the PD Day Friday carving pumpkins with them.  Apparently they also baked some Halloween cookies with them so I grabbed a couple of the pumpkin ones for this picture.



Wildcard

Sharon might kill me when she sees this photo as she took a similar one and was contemplating making it work for one of next week's topics.  I initially took this for rim light (on the clouds) but then found the birds.  The photo just seems so appropriate for this week though as the fog and the clouds and the lighting are rather spooky.  And this isn't a black and white photo - it was taken in colour.



Sharon and I were talking about the redundancies in this week's photos with orange, starts with P and pumpkin.  Looking ahead, it looks like the next couple of weeks will also be challenging the old noggin as I see some more potentially repetitive topics.  Here is hoping the sun is shining this week so I am able to capture the requisite photos before next Sunday!  Have a good one!

1 comment:

  1. Not only do you love the colour orange, aren’t you an orange according to that colour personality thing we did back when we were home health care Algoma? All the photos are great. The pumpkin cookies, swing bridge and second chickadee photos are my favourites. I think my foggy river is different enough from yours to still use it next week:).

    ReplyDelete