Saturday 28 October 2017

Sharon's Week 43: Don't Smoke the Pots

I was having quite the giggle this afternoon as I read through the signatures in my high school yearbooks.  My title comes from one of the more interesting comments, "Don't smoke the pots because then you won't have anything to cook in."  Another memorable one in almost illegible handwriting, "Due to the wave nature of sub aerobic particles in the earth's outer crustacean layer..."  I am completely unaware of what the heck that was all about but it went on and on in that manner.  I read things from people I swear I have never met, telling me to have a good summer in Agawa and to not party too much (or to keep on partying).   And I thought that I had a good memory for names (not that I can come up with them on demand, but I certainly thought I would recognize names of people I have known).  I guess it has been 32 years since I graduated from high school.

I was also reminded several times in my grade 13 yearbook that I was planning to be a physiotherapist and my education was going to be at Queen's.  Two things about that:  first, I am an occupational therapist and I got my degree at U of T so that changed, and second, I can't believe we didn't know at graduation time if we had been accepted into our programs yet!  Things certainly are different nowadays.

About the photos, I took most of them today...I kept hoping the weather would change and I could get out and about for a few of them but that didn't happen.  I did put some thought into my ideas over the last couple of days but execution didn't happen for the most part until today.

And here they are...

pumpkin
I HATE the smell of pumpkin.  Levi and I instead carved watermelons over the years but this year we haven't done a darn thing about Halloween (except buy the yummy treats of course).  On Wednesday and Thursday I had the misfortune to be in schools where the younger kids were carving pumpkins.  I am slightly embarrassed to tell you that I actually had my hand over my nose as I approached those classrooms to collect the kiddoes.  So, you can see that I wouldn't be photographing a pumpkin of my own.  I considered heading to Farmer Bob's for some photography but the weather this week was just awful so instead, I headed to the Bulk Barn.

rim light
I had so many ideas for this but we had NO sun all week.  Today I set up my flash behind this decorative grass that was still looking pretty good in my garden and tried to get the rim light.  It isn't quite what I was going for but I think it comes close.

not enough
Levi and a few of his friends play a card game called Vanguard.  He does not think that he has enough cards!

handwriting
Here's why I had my yearbooks out today.  Look, everybody back then knew how to write in cursive.  I wonder if it will ever come back.

orange
There are still a few fairly beautiful orange trees around but like I said earlier, the weather has been uncooperative so I resorted to the Bulk Barn.

starts with P
Pork tenderloin starts with P.  My friend Carla was in town for work so I claimed her time for  Tuesday evening and invited everyone from my book club (which she used to be a part of) to stop by and say hello.  I made an awesome dinner, if I do say so myself:  balsamic pork tenderloin in the slow cooker, roasted veggies and sweet potato fries.  I enjoyed leftovers until yesterday and they were still yummy.

wild card
We are in definite need for a time change.  This week when I went to Elliot Lake, the sun rose at 8:10, just as I was getting into town (it was dark for the entire two and a half hour drive).  The sky was really pretty so I drove to where there is a little park by a lake to photograph the pink sky (starts with P).  Things happen fast at that time of day and by the time I got to the lake, the pink sky was gone.  I turned in the other direction and took this.  

And that's it for this week.  Happy Halloween everyone.

1 comment:

  1. The pork looks yummy. I love your Bulk Barn photo inspiration. Your wildcard might just be my favourite this week. It's so serene.

    ReplyDelete