Saturday 30 September 2017

Sharon's Week 39: Fading Into The Sunset

I'm sitting here with my hands ready to type and I find myself with nothing to say this week.  I guess it has been a fairly nondescript kind of seven days and nothing stands out as needing to be said.

I suppose I could explain my title this week.  The reference to fading is about the total lack of fall colours this year.  We had "fall leaves" to photograph last week  and "a leaf" on this week's list and let me tell you those were hard to find.  The scenery is stunning in its lack of stunning-ness around here.  I'm not sure if there is any colour still to come and I can't seem to stop talking about it.  Last night when Pam and I were out walking I commented several times and again tonight at Hiawatha the topic came up (by me, of course).  I realized that I seem to be a broken record and told Pam that I'm sure I will stop talking about the lackluster colour sometime soon (I promise I will try).  It's just that I have never ever seen a fall like this...I really can't believe that it won't turn around and surprise us next week.  Or the week after that...

Alright then, moving on...
Most of my photos were taken last Sunday on an early morning drive out to St. Joseph Island and then during a walk at Hiawatha.  Then like many weeks, the camera didn't come out again until the last minute scramble for the final photos.  Maybe I ought to consider the daily thing again for next year (note that I only said MAYBE).

Here we go.

reflection
This is a reflection in the pond at Hiawatha.  The way I framed it completely freaked me out when I looked at the image on the screen.  I find it hard to look at because I really, really want to turn the photo upside down to fix it.

a leaf
I have a burning bush in my front garden.  It has always been disappointing (this year is not atypical for this plant) in its lack of "burning" colour each fall.  I rarely get the stunning red leaves.  I highlighted the one red leaf on my plant with this little set up on my light table.

starts with I
While driving around the Island last Sunday, I saw 15 or 20 deer.  Those suckers are unpredictable and are all over the place on St. Joe's.  I call them an Island danger.

dog
When I was done on the Island I texted Pam to see if she wanted to meet me at Hiawatha.  When we started walking she joked that the only reason I had invited her was to get my dog photo.  I had completely forgotten about that but I won't look a gift dog in the mouth (?).

railroad tracks
I crossed so many tracks this week and every time I looked in each direction looking for something a little interesting or pretty (it would have helped to have some colourful leaves) but nothing jumped out at me.  I thought instead of the train bridge at Whitefish Island.  The idea I had was foiled by flooding where I wanted to be.  Pam suggested we risk life and limb to climb up to the tracks and this is what I found there just as the sun was setting.

motion blur - camera
I think you've heard me say how much I enjoy doing this kind of thing.  I really do but for some reason I didn't get out and do it this week.  Last Sunday I was telling Pam about a photo I saw in my latest photography book and I tried it once by the pond.  This is the photo that came of it and I didn't make any more attempts all week.  For shame.  I do believe I will do some more this coming week and you may see another blur photo next weekend.

wild card
I could have used this for my I photo...it is the causeway to the Island and it is an iconic scene around here.

That's it for this week.  

1 comment:

  1. I really like the look on the deer's face - almost like he was thinking "When you said you wanted to shoot me, I wasn't thinking about photographs". Riya looks well-behaved in that photo. I am really glad that our death-defying trek to the train bridge was worthwhile - great shot.

    ReplyDelete