Tuesday 8 August 2017

Sharon's Week 28: A Little Late, A Little Cheating

Week 28 finished while I was in transit to China.  I had not yet taken my seven photos for the week so I blew it...I broke my rule of taking the photos during the actual week.  But since it is almost a month later, I am over it and getting on with things.  

I don't really have an excuse for not getting the assignments completed apart from the fact that they were repetitive from the previous week and I didn't have any inspiration for new ideas.  At the beginning of the week, I was in Windsor dropping Levi off to stay with Anne for a bit and I took a few photos there.  Then I came home and other than to pack the camera and accoutrements, I didn't even look at Hermione.  Poor girl.

That Friday after my pedicure, I spent the day fretting about whether or not I actually had a flight to China since the airline would not let me check-in or confirm anything.  It turned out okay and I was able to get a window seat for the 16 hour flight from Toronto to Guangzhou but something went awry and my luggage didn't arrive with me in Xining, China.  That is a whole other story and it's how my week 29 began so I'll leave the explanation for my next post.

grass
I agree with Pam...what the heck?  Anyway, I initially thought of the pretty grass that is growing in my garden (on purpose, it's decorative) but never got around to it.  I did seek out grasses once we were out and about on the photo tour but I prefer this photo.  Although there isn't actually any grass in the photo, the sign, with its crazy translation refers to grass and it makes me laugh.

sport
Anne and I went to Amherstburg for ice cream but we were too early.  While walking along the boardwalk waiting for the store to open, we noticed these fishermen.  Fishing is a sport, right?  Not one I participate in but a sport nonetheless.

cold drink
Well, this was not easy to get in China!  Maybe in the big cities they enjoy their drinks cold but certainly not in the parts of China we visited.  I drank hot water, warm water, room temperature water, hot tea, warm tea and warm beer.  This photo was taken on the "lounge viewpint" (another mis-translation that made me laugh) of our hotel in Lhasa, Tibet.  I actually can't remember if the beer was cold or not - I think not since the head of foam is so thick - but it is the closest I have for a cold drink.

starts with V
In Amherstburg, we wandered through a hosta garden and found this plant.

insect
We stopped along the side of the road (Chinese version = stop wherever you want and people will honk and go around you) to photograph this sunflower field.  There were plenty of bees but they just wouldn't hold still.

splash
The Chaka Salt Lake is a very popular tourist destination (not for Westerners, we were still the only white people around) and the people go prepared for colourful photos.  They wear bright clothing and bring bright scarves and umbrellas (although the umbrellas might just be coincidence, they carry them all the time and you have to learn to deke quickly left or right to avoid losing an eye when walking down the street).  There is no standing normally to pose.  Everywhere we went, the people posed extravagantly with their scarves blowing in the wind.  Anyway, this little girl wasn't doing any of those crazy poses, she was just playing in the water while her dad (and I) took a million photos.  Her cute pink boots must have been filled with salt water when she was done because she didn't seem to care how she was walking around (it was hard - like walking with snowshoes on, the water was that heavy with salt).

wild card
These daisies were in Amherstburg.  I thought I'd better use this photo as my wild card to minimize my cheating.

That's it...the next three posts will be All China, All The Time.

1 comment:

  1. That girl in the salt lake is my favourite photo - it is fabulous! The colours are fantastic and she looks so happy. Do you know how many times I looked at that hosta photo and wracked my brain trying to decide whether the "V" word was violet before I saw the "vim and vigour" sign. Clever. I like the shy grass picture too; creative interpretation of the topic! Good week!

    ReplyDelete