Tuesday 15 August 2017

Sharon's Week 32: It's Hip To Be Square

I seem to have lost my oomph for photography.  I have yet to tackle the China photos, last week I barely had Hermione out and so far this week, I am not feeling the urge to get out and photograph anything.  Maybe it's the post-vacation blahs (I think that's a real thing and it should be in the DSM as a diagnosis) or maybe, like many things, I just need a quick change or break to renew my interest.  

On the positive side, I am finally, after many months, interested in reading again.  I never stopped reading but I slowed down a lot and I found many books to be not very exciting or engaging.  I found myself stopping reading to check emails, facebook and the news far too frequently for anything to have changed.  Happily I seem to have bypassed that phase.  Although I felt rather sloth-like and a bit guilty about it, yesterday I spent the whole day reading a book I had picked up at a used book store on the weekend.  I will head back to the couch in a bit to finish it.

And in other news, I appear to have just bought a new car!  I won't get it until early in September but the deal is done.  If anyone wants a 2009 Mazda 5 in excellent condition (apart from the nearly 300,000 km and the currently non-functioning air conditioning), give me a call.  I'm sure I'll find a way to use a photo of the newest Quinn acquisition in this blog when I do have it in my greedy little hands.

Here are the photos for week 32.  Maybe posting this will get me off my butt and out with Hermione this afternoon (after I finish my book of course)..

beautiful
A pitcher of sangria is a beautiful thing when you are at a cottage with good friends, good food and nothing you have to do other than relax and enjoy life.  I have to give credit to my minions (they called themselves my crew) Kathy, Lisa and Joanne for ideas and physical labour while I made this photo.

square
The cottage that we rented was in Port Carling, in the heart of Cottage Country.  On Friday we headed into Huntsville to wander among the shops and do whatever else took our fancy (which turned out to be have lunch on an awesome patio overlooking the river and have ice cream at a cute little shop that has "belly" in the name).  I think that maybe Tom Thomson (who I thought was part of the Group of Seven but I just googled him and he was not.  Huh.) was from Huntsville because there were reproductions of his paintings all over town.  Many of them were in the square format but I liked this one best.

X
This X was part of the railing of a bridge overlooking the Big East River or the Muskoka River (google was not clear on this).

watermelon
I was sadly without ideas for this.  Worse yet, the watermelon was not very yummy.

isolation
Last Sunday Levi and I headed up to Lake Superior Provincial Park to visit Maxine at her backcountry campsite (we were supposed to be camping with her but with my frozen shoulder, sleeping on the Thermarest was not an option).  When we arrived, Maxine wasn't there any more (she had left a note) so we wandered a bit, Levi looked for his snake friend and I took photos.  The place itself is rather isolated, being a backcountry camping spot but I thought this photo particularly said "the middle of nowhere."

large depth of field
Crisp from foreground to background, that's what that means.

wild card
Here are more of Tom Thomson's paintings behind the theater in Huntsville.


1 comment:

  1. That piano is my favourite this week although I love the colours in the "x" as well. That sangria has my mouth watering right now....but first the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete