Saturday 19 August 2017

Sharon's Week 33: I Returned To My Roots - And It Worked!

Alright, I got my mojo back today.  Last night I set my alarm for six and when it went off I actually got up!  You see, I planned to head to Whitefish Island just after sunrise, before heading to the grocery store.  I figured if Whitefish couldn't get me interested in pointing my camera at something, I should just give up and throw in the towel on this project but it worked.  Woohoo!  The only reason I left the park was because (okay, you may roll your eyes now) I only shop when the store opens at 8:00.  C'mon, don't you guys hate when you have to manoeuvre your cart around other people?!?  Well, I do and I refuse to do it when there's an alternative.

Anyway, I spent an awesome hour and a half with nature and I think I might just head back tomorrow morning...I am sure there is something on next week's list that I can find there.  I just processed my photos and for the first time in a while, I actually have several options for the wild card.  What to do, what to do...

 I'll get started.

busy
Frankly, the only things I thought of for this were a bee and a beaver.  There have been a couple of bees in my photos in recent weeks so I went with the beaver (which can usually be found, coincidentally, at Whitefish Island).  This morning, the buggers were plentiful but definitely NOT cooperative.  I had decided to leave (to, as noted above, get to the grocery store for 8:00) when a young beaver decided I wasn't a threat and hung out right beside the boardwalk for a few minutes.  Here he or she is.

starts with N
Here we go with my word-finding problems again.  I asked Levi for help and he started listing off completely unhelpful words like nobody, neutron and negative.  Then he got out the dictionary and came upon narcissus.  I again laughed thinking he was being ridiculous when he looked pointedly over at Cissy, whose real name is Narcissa.  Voila!

river
On my way back from Port Carling last Sunday I stopped in at the French River Visitor Centre.  As it turns out, the river isn't particularly photogenic from that area but I wasn't planning on a big hike (I was wearing a skirt and sandals) so this is what I got.

1
This should have been easy but many tallish straight things are kind of boring.  I went for this cattail once the sun made a bit of interesting light shine on it and the colourful flowers in the background.

melting
Yum!  Enough said.

a mistake
Most of you have already heard this story but as it resulted in a photo for the week, here it is again.  At some point this spring, I began planning my summer activities (both at work and home) around the fact that I would be off for five weeks, returning to work on Monday, August 21st.  This week I was kind of bored.  On Monday, I read almost an entire book and I got less than 800 steps on my Fitbit.  When Tuesday came around and I still didn't have anything particular planned for the rest of the week, I decided to save some vacation days and return to work early.  I called my office to let them know and to ask for a work area to be booked for me for the next day.  I got a call back saying that a desk was booked for me but they couldn't find my vacation days in the computer.  I figured they were mistaken and I'd take care of it in the morning.  Later when I was talking to Maxine, she said she couldn't have let it go, she would have had to find out right away so I headed to my home office desk to look at the list I keep for myself.  Ooops!  I had only booked vacation until August 11th and I had been due back to work the day before.  We got it all sorted out Wednesday morning and now instead of having more vacation days I have less but it made for a very amusing story - even to my boss when she returned to work on Thursday.  Here is a picture of my mistaken calendar.

wild card
What to choose, what to choose...  well, here, have a bunch 😁.

As I arrived at the locks, the sunrise light was reflecting in the river.

There's always a duck or two...or a hundred.

I miss seeing chickadees all the time.  This is the only one I saw flying around this morning.

The leftovers from our torrential rain over the past two days.

I have no idea what these are but they are abundant.

More raindrops.  Apparently we got 72mm of rain from Thursday into Friday.

I didn't expect to see so many flowering things.

I guess I needed me a trip to the Island.  All of those were taken there this morning.

And here is Eclipse.  After looking at it once, blink then picture her slightly slimmer and a bit sleeker with a pointier face and you will have a photo of Bella ( who did not agree to pose for me today).

Now, if only I can find my processing mojo to get started on my China photos.

1 comment:

  1. I love all your wildlife and flower photos as usual. That one is a clever catch! Good eye! Great week - glad you found your mojo again :)

    ReplyDelete