Sunday 15 January 2017

Donna's Week 2 - It's my turn to share!



Hello fellow blogger's, thank you for the warm welcome to your site.  I feel a bit guilty though, as I have followed your blog for several years now and feel like I know you all personally.  I think it is officially called stalking.  Well, now it is my turn to share.

I work in agriculture in Ontario.  I worked for the Province for 16 years and have now worked for the feds for 6 years.  My role is knowledge and technology transfer.  Basically,  I take applied research results, new technologies and new knowledge and transfer it to farmers in Ontario.  I work mainly with horticulture crops (fruit, veg, greenhouse, nursery, sod and ginseng) and I work mainly in soil, nutrient and water disciplines.   The best part about my job is working with farmers on farms.  

At Work

This "at work" picture, is as you can see, actually two pictures.  Ginseng is a very intensive perennial crop.  A seed is planted into raised beds and covered with straw and then 4 years later a root is harvested.  It is a forest species and needs to be grown under these elaborate shade structures.  Which to me, are extremely photogenic.  

Mid-summer ginseng garden
Early spring ginseng garden

Tools

Not that I actually drive any of these, but these are the tools used by the farmers I work with.  I generally work with a computer and my charming personality.  Not nearly as colourful as the silage wagon, tractor and combine in this picture.



Flower Petals

I took this picture on a trail called Paradise Meadows Loop Trail at Mt Washington, BC.  If you have never been to an alpine meadow, I would highly recommend it.  Cool air, clear skies and lots and lots of green that made the colours of the wild flowers pop.





Cat

We got the opportunity to have this awesome cat stay at our house for 5 weeks.  Meet Gordon the cat.  He is my nephews cat and is full of personality.  I love this pic of him, I think it shows his mischievous nature.  




Prickly

I love this purple colour with the green.  These were real flowers I saw in a park in BC.





Too Much!

This is my son Blake.  He just turned 14 and is 13 in this picture taken in South Dakota this summer. He is the light and love of my life and in general he is just too much!  Too much fun, too much work, too much height, too much confidence, too much attitude, too much kindness, too much humour, too much computer, too much pokemon go and too much dinosaur!!!!




Wild Card

I would be remiss, if I didn't include this awesome pic of Sharon and Levi's cat Sissy, in a photo blog where one of the themes was "cat".  She is so sweet!



Have a great week.


4 comments:

  1. I love your description of Blake! I guess we missed an awesome museum. So the two ginseng pictures can't be from the same year, right? It seriously takes four years for ginseng to grow? Love the farm equipment. My kitty is soooo sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the ginseng pics are from the same year. Every year the leaves die back and then sprout again in the spring. I thought you would like the sissy pic.

      Delete
  2. The farm equipment made me a little homesick for the prairies. Loved learning about ginseng. Beautiful flower, prickly and cat photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The farm equipment is so bright and colourful! I love the beiges in the 2 cat photos though too. And now I know all about ginseng! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete