Saturday 28 January 2017

Pam's Week 4: Out in the Street, Out in the Street, Out in the Daytime, Out in the Night

We're gonna rock down to Electric Avenue, then we'll take it higher!

That's always been such a fun song to me and it's what pops into my head when I look at my 'night' photo this week.  An aside, I remember one day back in my youth (likely in the mid-90s sometime), my friend, Sarah, and I were at a bar (the River Rock) one evening and this song came on.  Needless to say, we were on the dance floor doing a little boogie.  These 2 guys came up to us and we think they were trying to pick us up but when they said "Do you guys like this song?  We've never heard it before but it's pretty cool", we had to break their young hearts as we'd been singing this song for 10-15 years at this point.

Anyways, let's get back to the point.  The pictures....I struggled this week.  Things that I'd hoped had settled down finally seem to be ramping up again but I am determined not to let it break me this time.  The lack of sunshine and endless grey days likely didn't help the situation.  Every day I searched for some blue that would help make some photos pop but alas, nary a blue sky was to be found this week.  The evening I chose for "night" photos was dreary and foggy but not a nice, cool, photo-worthy fog but merely a dreary, dismal, just cover up anything that could look nice fog.

On the upside - Robert has been able to trade his shifts again, no thanks to the workforce planning system/department, so will be able to attend the swim meet with us on the Family Day weekend.  We're all very happy, including some of the other swim parents who are rather looking forward to having a bartender with us on the trip as well as our friends and fellow swim parents who are trying to convince Robert to hold mojito-making lessons while we are away.

Enough babbling - let's get to the photos....


CHURCH WINDOW

When I mentioned to my parents that this was one of this week's topics, they reminded me that there is a window at their church that they dedicated in memory of my grandparents.  Today, realizing I hadn't yet taken a picture, I called my dad and had him let me into the church to take the photo.



HAPPY FEET

If you recall, I was given a gift certificate for a pedicure from my brother and sister-in-law (or future sister-in-law) for Christmas.  That would make for rather happy feet, however, Sharon and I haven't yet set a date for this event so my feet are not so happy.  In fact, I stubbed my big toe on something in the hot tub (rather lukewarm tub to be more accurate) at the hotel last weekend and broke my nail which makes them really unhappy looking.  Riya, however, has very happy feet when they are holding a rawhide treat.



NIGHT

The other night after dropping Danica off at Brownies, I set out to attempt to replicate a beautiful 'night' shot that I'd seen on facebook.  I went to the location but the dreary fog did not lend itself to the scene I was envisioning.  Almost giving up, I was driving down Queen Street, heading to the grocery store and decided to make an extra trip around the block so that I could take this photo instead.


For those reading who aren't from the Sault, Muio's has been a local favourite, famous for their broasted chicken since 1961.


OIL AND WATER

This would be this week's photo fail for sure.  I googled "oil and water" photos and attempted the set up and well, it just didn't work as planned.  I should get at least a C+ for effort though...




STARTS WITH W

Since my week began with a swim meet, the "w" word just seemed so obvious to me.  Somehow, it took Sharon a long time to figure out what I thought was so apparent.  She must have gone through the dictionary before I finally told her the word I used.  I did like her guess of "wine" though; perhaps she sees me drink that more...


My "w" word was Water.  Of course, "win" would also work as this is Danica swimming her 25 yard backstroke and she won her heat!  Actually, she got 5th place overall and beat the qualifying time for the state championships!  Duncan finally figured out how to dive so if we can get him to dive out instead of down, it should knock a couple of seconds off his times!


BARN

Tonight after the church window photo, I dragged Duncan and Riya out for a drive to find a barn.  Unfortunately, a snow storm was setting in and it was getting darker so there weren't very many options.  The ones I liked that we passed were either set too far back from the road or were located in places where stopping was not advisable.  Finally, as the snow started to get heavier, we happened upon this barn and snapped a photo.



WILDCARD

It was such a struggle to even get the assigned topics done this week that there were no extra "wildcard" photos to be found.  I decided to peruse some old photos, however, and came across this one that I've always liked.  It was taken at the Old Melbourne Gaol in Australia.



Looking ahead at next week's topics has me rather worried.  There are no brilliant ideas popping out at me.  Hopefully it doesn't end up as last-minute and unoriginal as this week....Happy week everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe last minute but not unoriginal! It's fortunate your dad had access to the church. That is a great window. Love Riya's feet and the Queen St. shot. The blurriness of the oil and water attempt has its own charms. I was going to say you are too hard on yourself and I realized that I think I did the same thing in my blog this week. Oh well, we'll praise ourselves next week :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the street shot, they are so hard to do. Yours has a nice balance with the street lights leading the eye to the red sign. I agree the il and water was tough, it took a lot of shots and a pretty severe crop to get my final one. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete