Sunday 5 February 2017

Donna's Week 5 - Timing is Everything.




I had a great week and we finally had some snow.  It only lasted about 6 hours, so I got up early to go to the dairy barn.  The best and worst part about photography is the morning light and the fact that you actually have to get up to see if the clouds are nice and if there is going to be a decent sunrise.  So, of course I did not get up early enough and watched all of the great light happen while I was driving in the car.  I got a few pictures, but the best part was the bacon and egg breakfast, made my Ma.  The second best part was the fact that it was Feb 1 and the first day of roll up the rim!!!  How can you possibly be discouraged when you are constantly encouraged to "please play again"


Close Up

During my walk a few weeks ago, I was fascinated by all the drops on the branches.  The top picture is kind of bla, but as I started to zoom in closer, I noticed that houses were reflected in the drops.  A little 180 degree rotation, some noise reduction and you get the bottom picture.  Way more interesting, I only wish I had actually planned it.





Primary Colours

I think Pam and I had the same idea for primary colours.  This is Zoe, my nephew and his wife's daughter.  We got to spend a few hours with her and her sister at the playground by our house last year.  I, of course, took my camera, the girls are sooo cute!  So, while Rob ran around making sure they didn't die, I took pictures.  I love the contrast between the pink on her dress and the primary red, yellow and blue.




Side Light 

On our trip this summer, Sharon arrived first to our Yellowstone campsite and rather than wait for us, her and Levi went to explore some of the thermal features. We agreed to meet at Old Faithful for the 9:30 pm eruption hoping to get some great sunset light.  Since Blake and I were late, we went straight to Old Faithful and ended up just making the 8 pm eruption.  As it turns out, this was the eruption to catch, by 9:30 most of the sun had set behind the trees. This is Old Faithful with great side light.




Kitchen Abstract

This one was hard.  I really don't take many pictures inside my house.  I did find this cool picture of one of our campfires.  Rob has great memories of camping as a child and I have always loved the outdoors. We have tried to instil this love in Blake and try to go camping every year.  When we go, we try to keep it pretty casual and these fires essentially represent our kitchen.  Apparently, you can't have enough hot dogs on a stick.  





Winter

These are the ice caves at Whitefish Point on Lake Superior in Michigan, oh and Levi too!




5

Sharon has this cool light table, that she uses for several different photo opportunities.  We used Blokus tiles and the light table for this shot.  I cropped in to get the number.





Wild Card

This is my favourite picture from Whitefish Point.




Have a great week!


3 comments:

  1. So much colour! Awesome shots, Donna. One of these days I am going to do the droplet shot like yours (there's a two week course at the online school I have used in the past, just on water droplets). Love the Whitefish Point shots. I guess it's time to head out and see if the caves are forming both north and south. Too bad you're back at work...I am off for the March Break as my thumb surgery is on the 9th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, love Old Faithful. I can't believe I was in Yellowstone and did not get a photo of it erupting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That droplet shot is incredible! And I think I like your primary colour shot better than mine. That last one at Whitefish Point is beautiful too. Great week!

    ReplyDelete