Saturday 4 February 2017

Sharon's Week 5: The Early Bird Lucks Out


It has been a long week of working overtime yet still feeling that I will not be able to keep up.  After my development review at work in January, my goal was to get my assessment and discharge reports completed on time (90% of them between January and June) which means within seven days of the assessment or the last visit.  By Wednesday this week, I had decided to give up on that goal to keep my sanity...it's never going to happen.  I'm amazed at how freeing the decision to remove an unreachable goal can be.  I have been totally enjoying the weekend so far.  

It's Saturday evening and I am getting this blog post done a bit early since I am heading out for a cribbage tournament at my friend Heather's house.  I spent the afternoon making some munchies for tonight when perhaps I should have been refreshing my cribbage skills.  I haven't really played the game for a while and if I remember correctly, Heather plays cutthroat.  Note to self: count points twice before announcing score.

After last week's dearth of photos, I figured I had better get on top of things and I started with this week's suggestions first thing Sunday morning.  Later on, Pam and I went for a walk and I took the rest of the week's photos.  Then it all came to a screeching halt...not another single photo until a halfhearted attempt last night to photograph the Bon Soo fireworks.  I will give myself credit for even attempting the fireworks last night in the crazy cold, snowy, windy weather, but as it turns out, it wasn't worth it.  The wind made the tripod move during the long exposures, the fireworks were set off behind an ugly building and I was too cold to take the time to set up the camera properly.  I only kept two photos from the bunch and I will put one here at the end but don't get excited, it's nothing to write home about.

Here we go with the photos...

close up
The cats were lazing about Sunday morning so I got out my big lens and pointed it at them.  This is Cissy.

primary colours
I'm not sure why but the only ideas that came to mind were candy so out I headed to the Bulk Barn.  Sorry about the snake, Pam.

side light
We actually had a bit of sun last Sunday afternoon.  The sun means shadows and depending on the time of day, that means side light.

kitchen abstract
Levi decided on this one.  He wanted me to try some things with the cheese grater - shining light from the inside.  We couldn't quite manage that but since the sun was shining, we found reflections instead.

winter
After our almost three weeks of spring-like weather, we got some fresh snow last weekend.  Pam's daughter and her friend came with us to Whitefish Island and at one point Danica was thirsty.  What do you do when you are thirsty in the winter and don't have water?  Eat snow, of course!

5
As we crossed the bridge onto the island, I was admiring the cool melted ice formations on the stream and this "5" screamed at me.

wild card
This little fellow was happy to have the bird feeders filled up.  Can you see his little pink tongue?

Here is one of the fireworks shots from last night.  This is after I had shortened the shutter speed significantly to avoid camera shake but it resulted in sparky versus streaky lights.

And I'm off to play cards.  Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. I love that photo of Cissy! It's stunning! And I may be rather partial but I think that's a pretty gorgeous photo of Danica too. That 5 is a pretty amazing catch and the fireworks is beautiful to me. Great week, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cards update: after being beat in my first game by a person who had never played before, I came back and won the tournament!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, I love the cat picture. I have a similar one of Ashes, hanging in my bathroom. Your macro shots are always amazing. The gummy worm looks like a real snake, and the kitchen abstract is beautiful, you pay such attention to detail. Nice picture of Danica, she is a real cuttie!

    ReplyDelete