Saturday 25 February 2017

Sharon's Week 8: Skating on Thin Ice

I have spent the day avoiding work.  Instead I got groceries, made some yummy honey sesame chicken in the crock pot, drank tea and read...a lot.  Maybe I had a little nap in there too.  The bottom line is, I didn't work.  It really is too bad that those reports won't write themselves.  

I have been thinking over the last few days about my education.  The five cent description of what an occupational therapist does is to help people perform their activities of daily living considering what barriers they might encounter.  That can mean helping someone figure out how to get in and out of the tub following hip surgery, manage their time and household finances following a recent psychiatric hospitalization, avoid repetitive strain injuries on the job or a million other things.  If there is something that a person does during the day, there is likely an occupational therapist somewhere who can help problem-solve when something occurs to limit that activity.  What I have been thinking about in particular is if, after working with kids the past 16  years, I still have the skill to solve the barriers that will present themselves to the one-handed me following the surgery.  How will I get the button on my jeans fastened?  Will I be able to open my tea canisters?  Will Levi cut up my meat for me?  Most of all, will I be able to handle my camera???  Since I expect my hand to be elevated in a sling for less than a week, I am not going out and buying any assistive devices.  My solution might be to stay in my jammies, buy teabags and eat yogurt.  Hermione might have to give way to my point-and-shoot camera temporarily.  Well, huh, I guess I will be able to figure it out.

On to the photos...

a dozen
A dozen eggs, a dozen donuts, a dozen roses.  That's what I think of when I think of dozen.  I'm sure I could have put together twelve of anything and photographed them but I went with the obvious.  These are mini roses I picked up at the grocery store today.

macro
On Family Day, Levi and I headed over to Whitefish Point in Michigan to see if there were any ice caves this year.  We brought his friend Christopher with us and since Chris is a birder, he brought his binoculars.  While Levi was trying to break some ice that appeared breakable (it wasn't) and Christopher was scanning the skies for birds (there were none), I wandered around looking for things to photograph.  I found this bit of melted ice at the edge of a cave and got out my macro lens.  I see a little cat reaching up to play with a dinosaur that is getting ready to eat something.

lazy
After we left Whitefish Point, we headed to a little place called Rudyard where snowy owls are known to hang out.  I wasn't hopeful since I have been there several times and have never seen one.  A few years ago, snowy owls were quite abundant in the Sault and everyone and their dog was spotting them but not me.  So we headed there with not much hope but wait!  We were driving slowly down this country road scanning the tops of barns and hydro poles when I spotted something brighter white than the snow in a field to my left.  I reversed and looked again and it was...it was a snowy owl!  I think he looks lazy with his half open eyes.   He (Christopher, the birder says it's a he) eventually flew off but even that looked lazy.

P
This is one handle of a pair of self-opening scissors I have for work. 

quirky
I mentioned earlier that Levi was trying to break some ice at Whitefish Point.  That activity eventually morphed into a game of hockey-golf on ice.  Levi and Christopher used driftwood to get a stone through some barriers to another stone .  It was much more difficult than it sounds and I got quite a kick out of watching their attempts.

smoke
I know I have done this before but it's different every time so I like to do it again.  Well, I did like it.  Today, the smoke would not cooperate...it didn't rise to where my camera was focused.  For some reason, the smoke was wafting sideways and despite my attempts to redirect it, it kept going back.  Eventually I moved the camera (you would think I would have moved it sooner but I guess I am stubborn).  I like the repetitive curls in this shot.

wild card
This makes me think of the moon.  It is actually the frozen beach at Whitefish Point.

And this is a longer view of the shoreline.  For an idea of the size here, look for the tiny person at the very left edge of the photo, near the top of the icy part.

Here's hoping I get motivated to work tomorrow.  Happy weekend everyone.

2 comments:

  1. The smoke is amazing, the flowers look like a catalogue shot and yeah! a snowy owl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say that I haven't said before - you and your photography skills amaze me! I love that macro shot and the scissors one is another good catch! The smoke is rather impressive and I love that Levi and his friend invented a game. Very quirky and clever!

    ReplyDelete