Saturday 25 March 2017

Week 12: What Does The Fox Say?

I can't believe that March is already coming to an end.  There certainly are signs of spring but there is still so much snow!  It's ugly and no fun to play in so I just want it to go away.  That being said, this afternoon I headed up the highway looking for my last photo for the week and I ended up playing on the ice on the shore of Lake Superior.  It was stunning how much ice is still there and I made myself a note about where to find my new favourite ice cave spot next winter.  I'd like to explore more when I'm not afraid of falling into a lightly covered crevasse or being caught in a calving chunk of ice.

There's a wide variety of topics again this week so let's begin...

wild card
I'm starting here because this photo is the reason for the blog title this week (the song has been in my head all week).  When I was walking at Whitefish Island last Sunday, I was startled by a chickadee when he made a loud piercing call right next to me.  I was rather insulted that he felt he needed to warn the other birds of my presence.  Obviously he was new to the area and did not know that I belong there.  Nevertheless I continued on my way.  As I stepped off the other end of the bridge, I saw this fox.  I realized then that the bird was worried for my safety and he was warning me not to go over there.  How sweet!  Luckily my camera was ready.  About five seconds after this shot, the fox jumped into the shrubbery, nabbed a squirrel and ran away.  I was sad for the squirrel but happy for my luck.

zigzag
When I wanted to get started with the photos last Sunday, I was really stumped by this topic.  I couldn't think of a single thing that was a zigzag.  Then I had an aha moment - I don't remember what made me think of it but I am glad I did.  I headed to the greenhouse once again to photograph the zigzag edge of a leaf.

a beginning
Why did I put this topic here instead of in week one?  I did take a few photos of some budding flowers at the greenhouse but then I found this at Whitefish Island.  Nothing says the beginning of spring more than pussy willows.

starts with Q
I bribed Levi with screen time on a week night and he gave me ten minutes of his time.  He needs a haircut and a shave but this is a teenage Quinn.

strong
The power of Lake Superior will never cease to amaze me.  The ice that forms every winter is just one of the many ways we can see the strength that is in the lake.

joy
When I was thinking of ideas for this, all I could think of were kids and dogs...I figured that those were the most likely places I would find joy that I could photograph.  Being lazy and not having young kids or a dog readily available, I gave up that line of thought and slightly altered the topic to (gives me) joy.  I love sunrises and sunsets...I am happy to sit and watch again and again and for hours every time.  We had an okay sunrise on my way to Elliot Lake on Thursday this week.  It was a little past peak beauty by the time I was able to find a safe place to stop.  Picture this with more pink and some red and that's what it was like before I stopped.

a bunch
As I was leaving the grocery store this morning these purple flowers would not let me pass so I stopped and bought them.

That's it for me.

Oh, one more thing I learned about my hand this week...there is a pin sticking out of my thumb!  Gross, huh?  I took a picture of it before the nurse put the new cast on.


2 comments:

  1. Of course you did Sharon. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh. I love the fox and the leaf and the bunch of purple flowers. I also love Lake Superior and the sunrise. Heck, who am I kidding - I love them all! Great week!

    ReplyDelete