Saturday 8 April 2017

Sharon's Week 14: This Week Was For The Birds

My title this week is literal rather than metaphorical, as you will see.

Apart from spending quite a bit of time at Whitefish Island (I feel like that name should be banned from overuse) this week, I spent a lot of time napping.  Now I have been a dedicated napper for many years but for some reason over the past few months, I have not been napping...at all.  I didn't think much of that until the overpowering urge to nap claimed many of my days this week.  You would think that the longer daylight hours, more frequent sunny days and warmer weather should have the opposite effect but apparently I am backwards in this matter.  I am hoping for more awake hours during this coming week as I plan to finally get caught up with my overdue reports and that (sadly) can only happen while I am awake.

So...work, photography and naps...that is about all I have to say about my week.  Kind of pathetic, I think.  In addition to less sleeping, I will hope for something exciting to happen during the next seven days.  Oh, I know...my cast comes off on Wednesday!  That will be exciting...for me anyway.  The first thing I want to do when I again have the use of my thumb is to cut my nails. They are long and jagged and driving me crazy.  Well then, now I have something to look forward to 😁.

Here we go with the photos...

a utensil
I made use of Pam's friend Google yesterday looking for an interesting way to photograph spoons (I have done forks and a knife in the past so I wanted to spread the love in the utensil drawer).  As I was scrolling through a whole lot of boring ideas, I passed a spoon dipped in chocolate meant to be used in hot chocolate.  I abandoned Google in favour of Pam's other friend Pinterest who showed me this idea.  The spoons are filled with a peanut butter mixture and dipped in chocolate.  Since Easter is coming, I tried to decorate them like eggs.  The chocolate that I bought required a double boiler, a candy thermometer and "tempering," whatever the heck that is.  I chose to melt it in the microwave.  I thought I was so smart when it melted just fine.  I got my comeuppance when the chocolate wouldn't set.  Although the instructions said not to refrigerate, I refrigerated.  The chocolate spoons may not have turned out exactly as they should have, but they definitely were delicious!

complementary colours
These berries were standing out against the leftover snow and the green moss was so beautifully bright.  I relocated a few berries to put these complementary colours together.

in the sky
Last Sunday was a really gorgeous day.  The sky was so blue and the water bombers were out for their spring training (?).  Around here there are many signs of spring...the geese returning, the first robin, crocus popping up through brown earth and the return of the water bombers.

Also in the sky this week...

communication
The return of the red winged blackbird and it's repetitive trilling call is another sign of spring.  This bird was talking back and forth with another bird on the other side of the pond.

starts with S
A cute little squirrel starts with s.

3 of something
I didn't have any ideas for this but when I came out of a napping haze yesterday, I discovered that I had three cats on me.

wild card
This milkweed seed pod from last year was sitting by the path looking so much like a star I had to stop and photograph it.  How did it keep this beautiful shape through the winter?

Here are some more birds that were out on a frosty Friday morning.
nuthatch

hairy woodpecker
That's all for this week.

2 comments:

  1. I love the photo of the utensils (the utensils themselves were pretty decadent as well) and the waterbomber is awesome as well. I love the look on the squirrel's face and I always love your bird shots. Here's to the cast coming off this week and cutting your nails! Woohoo! Great week, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, my favourites are the milkweed and the flying ducks. Thank you for sparing me another pileated woodpecker shot. :)

    ReplyDelete