Saturday 15 April 2017

Sharon's Week 15: Spring Ahead

Happy Easter!

First, an update about my thumb (because you are all on the edge of your seat about its function or lack thereof).  The cast came off a few days early because I was having a lot of pain from the pin rubbing around inside there.  Now I have a useless sausage at the side of my hand...very limited active movement, swelling and odd sensations on the skin.  I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised - after all, surgery did occur and my hand was immobilized for just under five weeks - but I am kind of disappointed.  It appears that it will be quite some time before my hand is back to normal function with range and strength and no fear of accidentally bumping into it resulting in a little screech.

In other news, Easter is here and that means family time.  Levi and I are visiting with Anne, Mom and Dad and the weather is absolutely gorgeous here.  It was 27 degrees this afternoon and Mom was in her bathing suit catching some early rays at the side of the pool.  Anne and I tried to keep our Yahtzee pads from blowing away in the gale force winds.  Levi and Dad biked and all in all, it was a fantastic afternoon.  Tomorrow is turkey dinner day...yay!

My title this week has nothing to do with the time change, which was weeks ago.  Instead, it refers to the vast difference in what spring looks like right now in Sault Ste. Marie and what it looks like in Windsor.  I guess six hundred north-south kilometers will do that.

This week's photos...

homemade
My sister is always creating really cool desserts.  Usually I am the recipient of a photo but luckily this weekend, I was the recipient of actual cake!  Here is the cake she made for dessert last night.

looking back
I had ideas for this...something nostalgic or thoughtful but instead I went with the literal interpretation.
I need to confess...Pam and I were actually walking in this direction so technically I was looking forward.  In my defense, I usually walk around this island in the other direction, in which case, this photo would have been looking back.

M
I looked all week and couldn't find anything.  Yesterday when we arrived in Windsor I started looking around.  Mom and Dad have a welcome mat at the front door that has a lovely M on it.  The cat tails actually spell "welcome" when you can see the whole mat.

bubbles
Several years ago, I read about a way to photograph bubbles so close up that all you could see was the rainbow colours as they slid along the curves of the bubbles.  I planned to do that again but it didn't work out.  I don't remember what I did differently and of course I don't remember where I read about how to do it so I had to come up with some other photo that I could make.  I think this turned out pretty cool.

yellow
Here we have what yellow in Sault Ste. Marie looks like...

And here is Windsor yellow...

starts with E
Before I tell you about my photo, I have to tell you how annoying Pam was about this topic 😜.  Most people who know me know that I have word finding problems and my speech therapist friends are more aware than most.  When Pam and I were out walking last Sunday I mentioned that I would have to go home and look in the dictionary for E words.  She then proceeded to suggest about a million words that begin with E without even breaking a sweat.  I tried my best to come up with a synonym for irritating that starts with E so I could dazzle her with my wit (if not the number of words that I can easily access) but I came up empty - ha, there's one!
I quickly photographed the old train engine that sits behind a fence at Bellevue Park but I hoped for something better to come along.  This morning it did.  One of the cats was Eager to chase the birds and squirrels that were flitting around outside.  This may be Cricket or it may be Kahlua - I'm sorry to say that I cannot tell them apart unless the cat in question is meowing, then it's Kahlua.

wild card
I have several for you today.  First is a spring-like photo taken last Sunday in the Sault.

And this was taken this afternoon at Jackson Park.

I was pointing my camera upwards because I liked the looks of the budding branches against the blue sky and Anne noticed the contrail of the plane.

Happy Easter!

1 comment:

  1. That cake is stunning - I may have drooled a bit. That "looking back" is a good shot. I love the pussy willow (I should have tried cropping mine; I just left it as is) and that Jackson part flower is stunning too. Great week!

    ReplyDelete