Saturday 29 April 2017

Sharon's Week 17: Raindrops on Roses...

I wish I had whiskers on kittens for you but the cats are being uncooperative this afternoon.  I also don't have a bright copper kettle but I certainly could have used some warm woolen mittens while out walking last night.  We are having quite the cold snap here.  It has been a gray, rainy, cold week that has made me want to just stay inside a read a book or two.  I even stood up Pam the other night - I had suggested a walk but then I didn't want to get up off the couch.  As it turned out, she got caught in some cold rain so I was happy to be inside.  

Speaking of books, I am listening to an audiobook called The Hotel on the Roof of the World which is the memoir of a fellow who moved to Lhasa, Tibet to work at the Holiday Inn there.  It was recommended by a fellow who will be on the China/Tibet photography tour with me as a fun read to get into the proper frame of mind.  It is quite amusing but at the same time alarming.  Some of the stories the author tells are not for the faint of heart traveler.  I am keeping my anxiety down by reminding myself that his story happened almost thirty years ago and surely some things have changed since then.  For example, there's no possible way I can sit through the announcement of my flight from Chengdu to Hong Kong because I don't understand the language, right?  RIGHT??

Ah well, I am sure it will all work out.  People travel to places where they don't speak the language all the time.  I am sure that I can too.

The photos...

a vegetable
It's called a Taco Turkey Spaghetti Squash Bowl and it is so yummy.  I found the recipe floating by on Facebook a month or so ago and really liked it.  Since the meal is also quite photogenic, I decided to make it again just for this photo.

made of wood
A beaver lodge is made of wood...soon the bush surrounding this lodge will no longer be made of wood.  I think the beaver population has multiplied in the past two years...there are significantly more dams and lodges in the water around the islands and significantly fewer trees standing on the islands.

raindrops
Although it did rain quite a bit this week, I never had an opportunity to photograph it.  Yesterday when I was planning my day I decided to spritz the daffodils at Bellevue Park (since it wasn't actually raining at the time) and use that for raindrops.  Unfortunately, the daffodils are not yet out so plan B was born.  Since the song was already in my head, I bought a miniature rose bush.

starts with O
Pam had another fun filled week coming up with O words for me but I thought of this one all on my own.  It is now officially called the Ermatinger-Clergue National Historic Site but it will always be the Old Stone House to me.

portrait of a friend
Since we walk together all the time, it was an easy choice.

waterfall
This is Hiawatha.  If you can believe it, people (including my brothers) used to jump off the rocks into the pool below (during the summers when the water was much lower).

wild card
I chased Cissy around trying to get her to pose her whiskers for me but no dice.  This appealed to me this afternoon - the green was so pretty with the blue sky reflected in the water.

And another week is complete.  My apologies to Pam for stealing the most obvious song lyrics this week.

2 comments:

  1. Yet another great week, Sharon! My favourite is the beaver lodge though I wish there was a little beaver swimming into it as you tried to capture the other day. And that turkey taco spaghetti squash is even better than it looks! I can hardly wait for lunch tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely picture of Pam and the bridge.

    ReplyDelete